What does IRP stand for? —> It stands for International Registration Plan.


What is IRP?

The IRP – International Registration Plan is a registration reciprocity agreement between states of the United States, the District of Columbia and provinces of Canada providing for payment of apportionable fees on the basis of total distance operated in all jurisdictions.  You will also hear the term “apportioned plates”, this is the same thing as IRP; example, someone may ask you “Are your plates apportioned?”.

If you are engaged in interstate commercial transportation you most likely qualified to have an IRP / Apportioned registration.


* NOTE – Here are the requirements of a vehicle to qualify for IRP

  •  it is a power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, or
  • it is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight, or
  • it is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
  • IRP is optional for two axle vehicles, or combinations thereof, having a gross weight of 26,000 pounds or less
  • There are several types of vehicles that do not require apportioned registration. Some of these vehicles may be apportioned at the option of the registrant.

Examples include:

  • trucks and truck tractors, and combinations of vehicles having a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds (or 11,794 kilograms) or less;
  • buses used in transportation of chartered parties;
  • trailers;
  • recreational vehicles;
  • vehicles displaying restricted use plates;
  • city pick up and delivery vehicles;
  • antique or historical vehicles; and,
  • government-owned vehicles.

Sample Apportioned License Plates

sample-irp-al sample-irp-me

NOTE:  they say “apportioned” directly on the plate.  There is no mistake when I officer checks your registration, it either is or isn’t.  You won’t be able to talk yourself out of this ticket and fine.

Trailer Plates

Do I need to have IRP plates on my trailers? No.

Trailers are not included in the plan. Section 515 of the Plan states “A Trailer, Semi-Trailer, or Auxiliary Axle properly registered in any Jurisdiction shall be granted full and free Reciprocity.”


How Do I Register For An IRP / Apportioned Plates?

This can be done at your local department of motor vehicles building.

Do I Register For All 48 States?

Not unless you really do travel in all of them, otherwise you will be wasting your cold hard cash! You need to decide at this time what states you believe you will be traveling in and list them. At the time of completing your paperwork to open your account for IRP you will be given a sheet of paper with estimated mileages for each state. You will have to use this sheet and the mileages given as your estimated miles, unless you know how many miles traveled in that state in the prior year.

What’s The Cost?

How Much Does It Cost? For IRP Plates That Is.

As you probably know, I can’t tell you exactly. Every state has different rates and it’s determined of course by how many miles are estimated. I have seen truckers with as little at $700 all the up to $2900 and I’m sure that their are people paying well over that amount. The second year is always a little nicer since you now have a year to look back at and see where you traveled the most. On the second year you won’t have to pay the estimated rates because you now know exactly how many miles you traveled in each state. So now, if you didn’t travel in 5 of the 20 states you listed you have the option to take them off your plan and save some money! You may now also see that you need to add 1 or a few states to your plan. Now is the time for that also. As you can see this process becomes easier the 2nd time around.

I’m Entering A State Not Listed On My Cab Card / Registration

Driving thru a state not listed on my IRP registration, What should I do?

Ahhh, this is a simple answer. Purchase a Trip Permit aka Single Trip Permit, Temp Registration, 3 Day Registration, etc, etc etc… These are permits issued from the state you are traveling into that you aren’t registered for. These are easy to order and cost anywhere from $75 to $100 per state.

Let’s say you normally don’t go any further south than South Carolina but one of your best paying customers just told you about a hot load and it goes to Florida and it pays excellent! You think to yourself great but I’m not registered to travel in GA or FL. If I turn the load down now another carrier has the opportunity of cutting me out… Oh no…. I’m not gonna let that happen!!! Ok so what do you do??? Simple, you call a permit service company (like ours, CRC International Permit Service at 888-379-2525 ) and we assist you in getting a trip permit for GA and FL. Now you keep your customer happy, don’t give another carrier a chance at stealing your work and all is well.

Final Notes

So if you engage in the trucking business and travel outside your home state frequently you need to have IRP / Apportioned plates. You also know that you don’t need to have all 48 states listed on your registration because you will be forced to pay estimated mileages in states you won’t ever travel in and waste money. Lastly you learned about a way to still legally do business in states that aren’t listed on your IRP plan, by ordering a temporary trip permit.


Remember, Stay Legal, Stay Safe!


For more information please call us at 888-379-2525 and we will be happy to assist however we can.

Tagged on:         

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *